2005-02-17

Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride

My Country, 'Tis of Thee

1
My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,

From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!

2
My native country, thee,
Land of the noble free,
Thy name I love;
I love thy rocks and rills,
Thy woods and templed hills;
My heart with rapture thrills,
Like that above.

3
Let music swell the breeze,
And ring from all the trees
Sweet freedom's song;
Let mortal tongues awake;
Let all that breathe partake;
Let rocks their silence break,
The sound prolong.

4
Our fathers' God to Thee,
Author of liberty,
To Thee we sing.

Long may our land be bright,
With freedom's holy light,
Protect us by Thy might,
Great God our King.



The first video below features the first and fourth verses only,
sung in a rather slow tempo;
the second video features all four verses,
sung in a somewhat faster tempo.
To place the text of the work in the frame between the videos, click here.
Don’t forget that F11 will remove the browser overhead from the top of your window.








When I was in school, in the 1950s, this was sung regularly in school.
I wonder if our current educators preserve that tradition.




A splendid piece of music, proclaiming God as the true sovereign,
written by a European composer in 1708
to honor the change of administration of his political jurisdiction,
is the contents of the video below.
The text of the work, in both the original German and an English translation,
can be placed either
in the frame below the video or in a separate tab or window.
Don’t forget that F11 will remove the browser overhead from the top of your window.

Labels: ,